Pushing Through
Yesterday was hard. Really hard. But Mom and I danced anyway. Sure we didn't go as long as we usually do, but it was enough that we got warmed up and worked on some of the combos. I'm starting to remember now that I'm not the world's best teacher. I have this thing where I can understand something, but actually explaining it in a way that makes sense to someone else...now that is where the difficulty is.
This makes practicing, and occasionally class, quite difficult. And it may get even more so once we get comfortable enough to start creating our own combos. I really like the way many tribal groups have these intricate combos, each with a specific cue to them. It makes the dances look choreographed, when in fact they really aren't. It also makes it so that everyone gets a chance to lead, and that means they get to do their own favorite stuff. It turns out awesome to watch. I'd really like our group do be doing that someday, and I think we should start with figuring out the cueing and leading systems. really it's pretty simple when you get right down to it.
With the performance coming up, though, it may be a while before we get a chance to work on that. My worry is that after we do the performance we're going to go right back into doing cabaret. Originally we had decided on alternating weeks, but of course with a performance coming up we've been concentrating mostly on tribal.
The thing is...I don't know if I want to do cabaret anymore. It's neat, and cute, and very precise...but I'm starting to see that tribal can be that way as well. As long as you all know the same combos, you can do some very fast stuff and have it still be improvised.
So that's the question, really...and I need to decide very soon. It's time to start working on cabaret again and if I'm out I need to be out NOW, and not two weeks before a performance. I think I'll ask Zhael if she's into cabaret either. If not, maybe we could work on that while the others do cabaret, during those weeks? I'm probably moving to Everett at the end of this month, which is where she lives, so maybe we could even find a day out of the week to practice together.
Everything's a bit up in the air at the moment, so we'll see.
This makes practicing, and occasionally class, quite difficult. And it may get even more so once we get comfortable enough to start creating our own combos. I really like the way many tribal groups have these intricate combos, each with a specific cue to them. It makes the dances look choreographed, when in fact they really aren't. It also makes it so that everyone gets a chance to lead, and that means they get to do their own favorite stuff. It turns out awesome to watch. I'd really like our group do be doing that someday, and I think we should start with figuring out the cueing and leading systems. really it's pretty simple when you get right down to it.
With the performance coming up, though, it may be a while before we get a chance to work on that. My worry is that after we do the performance we're going to go right back into doing cabaret. Originally we had decided on alternating weeks, but of course with a performance coming up we've been concentrating mostly on tribal.
The thing is...I don't know if I want to do cabaret anymore. It's neat, and cute, and very precise...but I'm starting to see that tribal can be that way as well. As long as you all know the same combos, you can do some very fast stuff and have it still be improvised.
So that's the question, really...and I need to decide very soon. It's time to start working on cabaret again and if I'm out I need to be out NOW, and not two weeks before a performance. I think I'll ask Zhael if she's into cabaret either. If not, maybe we could work on that while the others do cabaret, during those weeks? I'm probably moving to Everett at the end of this month, which is where she lives, so maybe we could even find a day out of the week to practice together.
Everything's a bit up in the air at the moment, so we'll see.

1 Comments:
yipi
Post a Comment
<< Home